ETH Zurich :
Computer Science :
Pervasive Computing :
Distributed Systems :
Prof. Dr. Friedemann Mattern
Dr. Thorsten Staake
Where and when:
The lecture covers the role of Information & Communication Technology (ICT) for sustainable energy usage. It outlines concepts of the emerging smart grid as well as approaches to motivate sustainable consumer choices. For that it combines technologies from ubiquitous computing and traditional ICT with insights from socio-psychological research and illustrates these concepts with examples from actual applications.
Specific topics include:
- Background on energy generation and consumption; characteristics, potential, and limitations of renewable energy sources.
- Introduction to energy economics.
- Smart grid and smart metering infrastructures, virtual power plants, security challenges.
- Demand management and home automation using ubiquitous computing technologies.
- Changing consumer behavior with smart ICT.
- Benefits and challenges of a smart energy system.
Participants become familiar with the challenges related to sustainable energy usage, understand the principles of a smart grid infrastructure and its applications, know the role of ubiquitous computing technologies, can explain the challenges regarding security and privacy, can reflect the basics cues to induce changes in consumer behavior, develop a general understanding of the effects of a smart grid infrastructure on energy efficiency, and know how to apply the learning to related design projects.
The lecture will also include interactive exercises, case studies and practical examples.
A reading list will be provided during the course. Good starting points are:
- Friedemann Mattern, Thorsten Staake, Markus Weiss
ICT for Green - How Computers Can Help Us to Conserve Energy.
Proceedings of the 1st international Conference on Energy-efficient Computing and Networking (e-Energy 2010), ACM, pp. 1-10, Passau, Germany, April 2010.
- David MacKay
Sustainable Energy - without the hot air.
Free online book, UIT Cambridge, UK, December 2008.
- International Energy Agency
Gadgets and Gigawatts - Policies for Energy Efficient Electronics.
Free online book, 2009.
- Ingo Stadler
Power Grid Balancing of Energy Systems With High Renewable Energy Penetration by Demand Response
Utilities Policy, 16, pp. 90–98, 2008.
(Password will be provided during the course)
If you have questions regarding the lecture, please contact Christian Beckel.